To prepare candidates to teach in the elementary grades (K-8) and to meet certification requirements
Administrator: Chair, Undergraduate Department of Education
Elementary Program Requirements: 16 credits in professional education; 41 credits in elementary education; 34 credits in liberal arts; and requirements for one middle level endorsement (grades 5-9)
Professional Education Core: 16 credits
Elementary Education Core: 41 credits
Liberal Arts Core: 34 credits
Social Science (3):
Natural Science (8):
Course must be taken at Northwest Nazarene University: EDUC1100, EDUC2550, EDUC2960, EDUC3920, EDUC4950, EDUC3000, EDUC3240, EDUC3250, EDUC3260, EDUC4440, EDUC4450, EDUC4460, EDUC4540, EDUC4550, EDUC4590, EDUC4810
All Education and Liberal Arts Core courses require a grade of B- or higher.
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Elementary Education requires the addition of one teaching endorsement, grades 5-9.
Program Certification Requirements
To be recommended for elementary certification to the Idaho State Department of Education, a candidate must meet the following standards:
- Complete all requirements for a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete requirements of the Educator Preparation Program in effect at the time of admission to Educator Preparation as well as any additional requirements if required by changes in the standards of state regulatory agencies.
- Complete all required courses in the elementary program with a grade of B- (2.7) or better. This grade requirement supersedes all other grade requirements for courses in more than one category.
- Complete all required middle school endorsement courses with a grade of C (2.0) or better.
- Maintain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA.
- Pass the Praxis Elementary Multiple Subjects test (#5001).
- Pass the appropriate endorsement Praxis.
Completing an Idaho-approved Educator Preparation Program will enable a candidate to be recommended for certification in other states. Deviations from the teaching major or certification requirements must be authorized by the department chair.
Elementary education candidates must complete the requirements for a middle level endorsement leading to a subject-area endorsement in the 5-9 grade band. It is recommended that candidates choose one of the following content areas: English, history, math, science, or social studies.
Note: For those interested in teaching elementary art, physical education, or music, see those sections under Secondary Education, as these programs lead to 6-12 or K-12 certification.