Education Specialist, Educational Leadership - Building Administrator
A minimum of 32 semester credits are required. More credits may be required depending on program director's evaluation of the student's previous master's degree.
The Ed.S. Educational Leadership - Building Administrator classes emphasize the administrator as an instructional leader as well as a servant leader. Ethical decision making, creative problem solving, and professional growth are other areas of emphasis. The student will complete a 9-month (2 semester) administrative internship in a school setting. The internship experience should include participation in a maximum number of meaningful experiences related to the principal's role. A minimum of 400 clock hours is required. Students will complete a variety of tasks and duties typical of a building level principal under the supervision of an experienced principal. The internship assignment must be approved by the school district and the NNU program director. In the last semester, each student will enroll in EDUC7596IIIB Building Administrator Internship Portfolio Binder (0-1) credits where they will upload their portfolio.
Successful completion of the degree qualifies the graduate for recommendation to the State of Idaho for a Pre K-12 Principal endorsement on an Idaho Administrator Certificate. It is the student's responsibility to submit the appropriate paperwork and fees to the Idaho State Department of Education for obtaining certifications and endorsements in Idaho. Current forms and information are available from the ISDE website. Students should check the Internet and other sources for specific requirements for certification in other states.
Individuals who currently hold a master's degree in Educational Leadership-Building Administrator would not qualify for this program, but would qualify to apply for other NNU EDS programs.
The program is in a fully online format. Courses in this program are fully online, but may have synchronous video class sessions. We encourage students to attend these sessions as they are available. Usually, archived sessions are available for review.
Every Educational Leadership student will be registered for the approved accreditation and assessment software during EDUC8000 Orientation: Graduate Education. There is a fee associated with this course.
Required Courses for Ed.S. Educational Leadership - Building Administrator (Online):
EDUC8000. Orientation: Graduate Education (0)
EDUC7553. Curriculum, Assessment and Collaboration (3)
EDUC7555. Mixed Methods Research (3)
EDUC7556. Conceptual Statistics and Applications for Educators (3)
EDUC7575. Legal and Financial Issues in Education (3)
EDUC7579. Special Education Law for Administrators (2)
EDUC7581. Instructional Supervision and Leadership (3)
EDUC7584. Data Driven Decision-Making (3)
EDUC7585. Administering Human Resources (3)
EDUC7596III. The Principalship/Internship in School Principalship (3)*
EDUC7596IIIB. Building Administrator Internship Portfolio Binder (0-1)
EDUCxxxx. Educational Leadership Elective (3)**
* Must be taken two semesters, for a total of 6 internship credits.
**Elective Options in Educational Leadership (select a minimum of 3 credits):
EDUC8674. School Facilities (3)
EDUC8675. Public Relations and Marketing for Schools (3)
EDUC8676. Special Populations: Issues and Resources (3)
Admission Requirements - Ed.S. Educational Leadership - Building Administrator
- A master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the master's program.
- Certification/Licensure as a classroom teacher, school counselor, school psychologist, or building administrator based on a recommendation from a state-approved higher education preparation program.
- Approval by the Graduate Education Admissions Committee.
The Graduate Education Admissions Committee may approve exceptions to regular admission requirements.
Application Requirements - Ed.S. Educational Leadership - Building AdministratorAll applicants to the program are responsible for familiarity with Idaho Code Section 33-1208; no person convicted of a felony or who would otherwise be denied certification or have certification revoked under Idaho Code 33-1208 will be admitted to the Building Administrator program.
The following requirements must be received by Admissions a minimum of one week before classes start, and are online, mailed or emailed as indicated. For mail: Northwest Nazarene University, Attention Graduate Admissions, 623 S. University Boulevard, Nampa, ID, 83686 For email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online: application and $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Email or mail: official transcripts from the regionally accredited institution(s) where candidate received a master’s degree. (We do not accept faxed transcripts.)
- Email or mail: a copy of candidate’s teaching certificate.
- Online: two recommendation forms completed by professional colleagues.
- Email or mail: evidence of writing competency, preferably from a research paper or other document completed during master's courses.
- Online: an Educational Leadership Evaluation Form from the candidate’s current building administrator. The online recommendation forms and the online evaluation form must be completed by different individuals.
Graduation Requirements - Ed.S. Educational Leadership - Building Administrator
- Credits must be earned in courses numbered 7000 or above. Continuing education courses and pass/fail courses (except those specified for degree completion) do not apply toward the degree. Exceptions for substitutions from other institutions may be approved by the program director.
- The candidate must complete requirements as specified in the degree major. The degree must be completed within six years of beginning course work. If the degree is not completed within six years, the candidate must reapply to the program. Credits older than six years may need to be retaken.
- The candidate must apply for graduation one full semester prior to anticipated degree completion. Deadlines: June 1 for Fall; October 15 for Spring; and January 15 for Summer.