Adding an Endorsement
Teaching Endorsements for additional subject areas may be added to a Secondary Certificate, Standard Elementary Certificate or Exceptional Child Certificate. Candidates will satisfy several requirements in order to obtain an additional subject area endorsement.
- Submit a copy of their valid Idaho teaching certificate.
- Demonstrate appropriate dispositions for teaching by submitting two letters of recommendation; one from a school supervisor and one from a mentor teacher.
- Demonstrate content knowledge by completing at least 20 credit hours in the endorsement subject area.
- Demonstrate content knowledge by receiving a passing score on the Praxis Content Knowledge test for the specific endorsement.
- Demonstrate pedagogical competency through enrollment in two methods courses at NNU: EDUC7651 Teaching Methods in Secondary School (2-3 credits) and EDUC7XXX Teaching Content Methods in Secondary School (2-3 credits, subject specific)
- Demonstrate teaching competency in the new endorsement area through successful observations by university supervisors certified in the Danielson Framework for Teaching. Enrollment in EDUC7685 (1-3 credits) is concurrent with observations. Number of observations varies based on background and performance.
Additional coursework may be required when adding a different grade level band certification.