Graduate Financial Aid

Federal Grants and Loans

The United States Government, through the Department of Education, has made funds available for federal grant programs. Graduate students are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant once they have completed an undergraduate degree per federal regulations.

Federal TEACH Grant:  NNU has chosen to participate in offering the TEACH Grant to students in master level programs pursuing teaching degrees in high need areas. To be eligible for the TEACH Grant a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, a student must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. Students must also complete TEACH entrance counseling and an Agreement to Serve if eligible. 

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: An unsubsidized loan is one that the government does not pay the interest on the loan while the student is in school, in a grace period, or in deferment. Payments of principal and interest may be deferred while enrolled at least half-time as a degree-seeking student. Repayment begins six months after graduation or discontinuance of at least half-time, degree-seeking enrollment. A student must complete the FAFSA to be considered for an unsubsidized loan. First-time borrowers must additionally complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling to better understand repayment and options.