Grading System

The academic work of the student is graded in accordance with the following system. Refer to individual programs for specific GPA or minimum grade requirements. Some passing grades may not meet program requirements.
Grade Explanation Points
A Distinctly superior or exceptional work 4.00
A-   3.70
B+   3.33
B Meritorious work 3.00
B-   2.70
C+   2.33
C Satisfactory 2.00
C-   1.70
D+   1.33
D Unsatisfactory 1.00
F Failing work 0.00
P Passing work  
I Incomplete work ("I" must be followed by a letter grade)  
IP In progress  
L Long-semester  
K Conditional mark  
W Withdrawal  
AU Audit  

A grade of I indicates incomplete work. An incomplete may be given when, because of extreme circumstances, a student requires an extension of time to complete course work. An I may be granted only by petition, which the student may initiate through the faculty or the faculty may initiate on a student's behalf. The request must be approved by the registrar. When an I is submitted, it will always have a suffix grade attached which the student will receive if no further work is done for the course, e.g., ID or IF. Normally, if the incomplete is not made up by the close of the semester following the one in which the mark was incurred, the prefix I will be dropped from the grade unless an additional request is made and granted to have the period of the incomplete extended. A faculty may request that the student make up the deficiencies before the end of the semester. On a pass/fail grade an "IP" may not be assigned. The only incomplete grade that can be assigned to a pass/fail course is "IF".

A grade of L may be given only in courses which require more than one semester to complete. The L grade will be replaced by either a P grade or a point-receiving grade upon course completion. An L grade will not normally extend beyond one calendar year unless an additional request is made and granted through the registrar's office to have the period of time extended. If one calendar year elapses and no extension is filed, the L grade will revert to a grade based on a student's current standing in the course as designated by the professor.

A grade of K is a temporary grade to be used in sequence courses when a student has failed the first course, but has been given permission to continue in the next course. An appropriate grade will be given to replace the K when the second course is completed. If the second course is not completed, the grade of K becomes an F.

No credit is awarded for a course receiving a grade of W. The W, I and L are neutral grades and no quality points are given for them. The grade point average of a student is determined by dividing the total number of quality points earned in any semester by the total number of credits in his or her academic load, excluding neutral course units.