Department of Nursing
Faculty: Barbara Lester (Chief Nursing Administrator), Jan Crabill, Michelle Hunt, April Orduno, Jane Weis, Bonnie Zaroban
Nursing Mission Statement:
The mission of the baccalaureate nursing program at Northwest Nazarene University is to provide a quality education in professional nursing, grounded in the liberal arts. We endeavor to develop graduates who will:
- Serve God and humanity
- Act with wisdom, integrity and caring
- Demonstrate competence in an environment of diversity and change
- Develop effective nursing leadership strategies
- Value the pursuit of professional growth and graduate education
Nursing Program Learning Outcomes:
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at Northwest Nazarene University will:
- Integrate scientific and liberal arts education into nursing practice which is provided within a Christian perspective.
- Apply leadership concepts and participate in nursing teams and with other members of the healthcare team to provide safe, high quality patient health outcomes.
- Translate critical thinking principles into the clinical arena and lifelong learning in order to establish the foundation for their evidence-based practice and lifelong learning.
- Utilize available technologies to advocate for patient safety, confidentiality, management of information, and work redesign.
- Have a working knowledge of healthcare policy, finance, and structure at the local, regional, national, and global levels in order to advocate for patients and the profession.
- Participate in assessment and educational initiatives to promote wellness and illness/disease/injury prevention to improve health for populations.
- Integrate values reflective of the character of God and the Christian worldview, as well as those of professional ethics into their daily practice of nursing and the advancement of nursing as a profession.
- Exhibit caring behaviors that show respect for the value and uniqueness of diverse persons as they safely integrate the nursing process for individuals, families, groups, and communities.
- Articulate the value of pursuing practice excellence and professional engagement to foster professional growth and development.
These outcomes reflect the expectations of the AACN Essentials for Baccalaureate Nursing Education and the mission of the University and the Department of Nursing.